Hey friends! How was your weekend? For those who have the day off, I hope you are enjoying the holiday. We had a party at the girls’ school and now we are home getting ready for a nap. I’m certain all the activity the girls got today was negated by the sugar they just consumed. 🙂
Is it chilly where you are? Our temperature has been up and down, but right now it’s cold and gray, which makes me crave all the comfort foods. One of my favorite cold weather meals is turkey chili. It’s warm, filling, and perfect for cold, dark evenings. And preparing this dish in the crockpot makes it super easy to throw together. It’s loaded with veggies and packed with flavor. Definitely one of the favorites in our house!
There are a lot of variations available for this dish. You could sub chicken or beef for the turkey meat here or make it all veggies for non-meat eaters. If you are doing Whole30 then you could easily omit the beans. Toss it all in the crockpot, leave it for 5-6 hours and then pat yourself on the back for whipping together an awesome meal.
- 1 pound of ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 whole green pepper, chopped
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed (you can also use pinto or black beans)
- 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes,
- 4 oz. can of green chilies
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Get out your super-duper crockpot.
- Spray bottom of pot with cooking oil.
- Add onion, pepper, beans and chilies.
- Add turkey, tomatoes, and sauce.
- Toss in garlic and spices.
- Heat on low for 6 hours.
- Top with avocado.
Please let me know if you try it. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite cold weather meal?