Vacation recap (#nofilter)

April 6, 2016

Hey, hey. We’ve made it back from our trip to the beach and I’m finally sitting down to write a recap.

The trip had highs and lows – it was nice to break out of our everyday routine and the weather was beautiful, but we definitely had our struggles with the girls. Two year olds can be so…emotional (and that’s being generous!). Their sleep was off for most of the trip and we played musical beds every night. But that’s the way it goes sometimes. I keep reminding myself that this phase will pass. Toddlers.are.crazy.

So, let’s recap, shall we?

I took Friday off from work so I could pack and organize things for our trip. I’m glad I did because I didn’t feel rushed on Saturday morning. In fact, I was able to take my usual class in the morning before we left. I knew if I was going to be sitting for 3 hours I needed to get some movement in beforehand.


After class I showered and we all got dressed and piled into the car. As I mentioned in my previous post, the trip down was a breeze. I attribute our success mostly due to the fact that I had a bunch of snacks for the girls. I made sure I grabbed some things they haven’t had before to keep it interesting. I also hit up the $1 section at Target and got some toys on the cheap to keep them entertained. These sticky lizards were a hit!


I spent most of the car ride reading and studying. In fact, I finished reviewing my training manual! As you can see I didn’t have a whole lot of leg room.


We arrived at the beach around 11:30 am. Our house was super nice! It had been recently updated and there was plenty of room for us. The owners have grandchildren so the whole place was kid-friendly and toddler-proofed. You can see more pics in Monday’s post.

After checking out our digs we headed over to our friend’s place (they own the home across the street from us) to catch up. A random person in Whole Foods taught Maddie how to make that goofy face and now she does it all the time.

We eventually made our way to the beach. Saturday it was super windy which made the beach a bit chilly. But, hey, it IS April. Not complaining!

We spent some time at the beach and then our friends cooked dinner at our place. Shrimp and rice plus a salad. It was delicious!

Saturday was a bit of a rough night for the girls. They didn’t have a proper nap and I think being off schedule in a new place was tough for them. Many meltdowns and getting them to go to sleep was HARD. Do any other parents have this problem when they travel?

Sunday things turned around. After relaxing on the deck in the morning, we took the girls to Kure Beach to visit the aquarium. We didn’t realize we had to take a ferry over until we were almost there, but luckily itĀ arrived quickly. It was the girls’ first time on a boat!

Seriously, the aquarium was SO much fun. The girls had a blast.

The aquarium also had an outdoor playground and cafe so the kids could burn off some energy and do kid-things. What a great idea!


On our way back from the aquarium the girls fell asleep. Yes! Rather than attempt to take them out of the car I sat in the front seat reading and catching up on social media. Seriously, how many times have I sat in the car while they napped?

After they woke up we headed down to the beach and spent around 3 hours playing. It was such a great time to be there – it was practically empty and super sunny. Check out that sky!

Ashlyn loved splashing in the water while Maddie enjoyed digging in the sand and “playing” paddle board with our friend (gotta admit she’s better than I am!).

Monday morning I worked out at the house (I went with this one and it took just over 30 minutes). Then we took the girls into Southport and walked around the town, hit up a toy store and then the playground. Don’t let these smiles fool you! I shared on Instagram that this picture was taken just moments before a massive double-meltdown.

The girls napped when we got home and I enjoyed one of the most glorious (and silent) hours on the deck, reading and drinking coffee.

The day concluded with more beach time and popsicles. I was way lenient on this trip with snacks and treats, but that’s how it goes on vacation, right?

The evening concluded with Frozen, a new to us movie. (Can I just say we are officially obsessed over here? And I totally get the hype!)


We said good bye to the beach on Tuesday and headed home.

After we got back, I grabbed groceries at TJs, did 100 loads of laundry, unpacked and repacked my suitcase, and somehow persuaded the girls to take a nap.

Today I leave for a work trip to St. Louis. Truth be told, I’m looking forward to being done with my travel. Plus, as much as these two girls drive me bonkers I will miss them like crazy.

Any parents out there have some tips on how to keep a routine while on vacation? Is anyone else planning a trip this spring with their kids?

Like what you read? I would appreciate it if you could like my Facebook page!

Leave a Reply