It’s FRIDAY! Hallelujah! I am super excited for the weekend to arrive because my family is visiting from New York. I’m looking forward to seeing my nieces and nephews and spending time with everyone. Plus, I’m going to get some alone time with my sister. Possible activities include: hitting up Target, Aldi’s (she’s trying to convince me to do my grocery shopping there), getting manis, drinking wine, and watching movies. I know – perfect, right? I’m assuming someone will watch all the kids.
You know what else I’m excited about? Spring!
The weather in NC has been downright gorgeous and I just want to sit in the sunshine all the livelong day.
So with spring right around the corner, I wanted to share some of the things I am looking forward to in the coming months:
1. Easter and egg hunts – I tend to get overly excited about holidays with the girls. Matt typically likes to give me gentle reminders about not going overboard, but I can’t help it. Easter will be lots of fun to celebrate with the girls this year. We’ll have our own egg hunt and then head to our neighborhood hunt. My how they have grown since last year! It looks like they are plotting to steal that little girl’s basket. Ha!
Of course, I’ll have some baskets for them with little things inside from the Easter Bunny. According to Maddie, “The Easter bunny hops down our chimney and brings us chicken eggs to eat.” Actually, that’s pretty darn close.
2. Beach trip to Oak Island – The last time we tried to take an actual vacation with the girls it was a disaster. I could probably write a whole series on what not to do when traveling with two infants. To be fair, they were only 11 months old annnnddd there was TWO of them. It was A-W-F-U-L. Maddie’s face (below on the right) kind of says it all.
Since then, we have traveled with the girls by plane three times and have taken several longish trips in the car so things should be OK for the most part. It’s much easier now that they can talk and be bribed with snacks, books, and shows.
We’re going to Oak Island, NC and staying in a 2 bedroom beach house for 4-5 days. I’m looking forward to unplugging for awhile and just spending time with my family. Plus, I’ve never been to OI and I hear it’s great. The girls have been chattering away about making sandcastles, flying kites, and playing hopscotch all day, every day. Fine by me!
3. Nature walks & parks – Thankfully, the girls share my love for the outdoors. As a child, I could easily spend the entire day outside, exploring and running around. With nice weather on the way, I’m definitely looking forward to taking more of our walks (we call them “adventure walks”) through our neighborhood and Chapel Hill trails. Last year, we tried to explore a different park, playground, or trail with the girls every weekend. It was really fun to check out new local spots.
4. Strawberry picking – Holy smokes! Freshly picked strawberries are so darn delicious! Last spring, we brought the girls to a local organic farm to pick strawberries. The girls really enjoyed pulling the berries right from the plants and we ended up with a ton of strawberries. I baked them into muffins and froze half of them for smoothies. We’ve decided to make strawberry picking an annual tradition.
5. Jordan Lake – We are fortunate to live close to Jordan Lake. There are so many things to do there and it’s an easy, short drive. The girls love to play in the sand and the water. Local friends, make sure you plan a visit this spring and summer. I really like Seaforth beach since there are bathrooms close by, tons of picnic tables, and a playground for the kids to enjoy.
6. Running – It’s silly to complain about the weather here since the winter can be so mild compared to other areas up north, but I LOVE spring running. The weather is still a bit cool and there are so many races that start to crop up during this season. Last year, I ran the Tar Heel 10 Miler (my favorite road race), but I have a conflict this year so I won’t be able to make it. I may try to squeeze in some smaller races if my schedule allows.
Other spring things I enjoy are sandals and flip-flops, spring dresses, longer days and rainy nights.
Your turn! Share some of your spring favorites!