Life just got a lot simpler for me. I recently came across a DIY idea that has saved me quite a bit of time in the morning: smoothie packs. The girls have a green smoothie most mornings, but the preparation can sometimes be a pain, especially if we are in a hurry. I’ve started making smoothie packs in advance and it’s been a huge help!
I like to incorporate different fruit and veggie flavors in our drinks to keep things interesting, but I don’t enjoy the time it takes to gather ingredients or make multiple trips from the fridge to the freezer to the blender. Each smoothie pack is loaded with fruits and greens (spinach or kale) to make a delicious smoothie in no time. All you need are some sandwich bags and a marker to label the packs.
Here are few tips to help you get started:
- If you are unsure of what to pack, try using the following recipe: 1 – 2 cups of fruit, 1 sliced banana, and 1 cup of greens (you can use fresh or frozen here).
- Incorporate appealing combinations (banana-pineapple-apple, cherry-banana, etc.).
- Add 1-2 cups of milk or water (more or less depending on desired thickness) to the blender when you are ready to make the smoothie (don’t freeze the liquid with the packs).
- For added calcium, replace ½ cup of the liquid with full fat Greek yogurt.
- To make your smoothie creamier, add half of a fresh avocado to the blender.
- Get some extra fat by adding 1 tsp of flax seeds or chia seeds.
- Label your packs with what’s inside (add a date if you don’t make smoothies too often…ours go quick!).
- When you are ready to blend these up, you may need to break up the fruit and veggies a bit if they have frozen together in clumbs.
I use both fresh and frozen fruit in my packs. I especially love Trader Joe’s organic frozen fruit selection.
Have a great weekend!