Since I usually workout during my lunch hour and have very limited time, I have put a lot of thought into what I need to pack in my gym bag so I can get in and out quickly. Today I wanted to share some of the items I take with me to the gym, including favorite fitness gear and snack essentials. I always pack my gym bag the night before so it’s one less thing to worry about in the morning.
Here’s what you can find in my bag:
- Swipes: These are a necessity if you need to go back to work or are heading out to run errands, meet friends, etc. after your workout. If you can’t shower right away then using these wipes are a great way to freshen up. In a pinch, I will throw some baby wipes into my bag since those are a-plentiful at our house.
- Hair ties and head bands: Always. There is nothing worse than feeling hair on your face when you are sweating. Am I right?
- Flip flops: If you have public showers at your gym then you understand the need for footwear. I would never (EVER) take a shower without something on my feet. Hello, germs! The Y provides plastic bags in the locker room so I throw my flip flops in there after I use them to keep them from touching anything in my bag. I then trade them out the next time I go.
- Towel: Luckily, these are also provided at the Y, but if you don’t have them at your facility then you should bring some. I also keep a stack of these in my car so I have them after I take a class or run outside. They are great for sitting on if you have to drive home all sweaty and gross.
- Water bottle: Here is the one I usually use. I don’t drink out of plastic bottles on the regular, however, it’s awkward to drink from an open bottle at the gym. Okay, I just hate that I have to stop to drink. Outside of the gym I use Lifefactory bottles.
- Garmin: If I am running outside or want to measure my distance, I use the Forerunner 220.
- Earbuds: I use the ones that cam with my iPhone, but I’m sure there are better ones. I don’t normally wear headphones when I am running outside, but I usually have them on in the gym. It’s the universal signal that you’re there to work and you’d rather not be bothered. Gym time = me time.
- Deodorant: I use this one.
- Coconut Oil: This is such an awesome superfood that it really needs its own post. I usually put some on after I work out as a moisturizer.
- Hair conditioner: I don’t wash my hair if I shower at the gym, but I will put some conditioner in my dry hair to smooth it out a bit. My bestie turned me on to this one and I’m obsessed.
- Larabar: Loveee these. No one likes a hungry person post workout…fact. I pretty much have one on me at all times.
- BCAAs and L-Glutamine: I don’t normally take a lot of supplements, but I personally have found branch chain amino acids and l-glutamine to work really well for muscle recovery and repair. Most often, I will have these after my workout.
So, what’s in your bag? I would like to hear how you pack for your workout.